Horrors of the Hard Rock

We have officially reached the halfway point in the first semester of the program. In my opinion, the exams have gotten progressively harder and required a lot more preparation. Overall, I am still pleased with my current performance. We are currently finishing up the cardiovascular block which has been one of my favorites thus far. On October 30th, we were able to witness a cardiac simulation that was really intriguing. Being able to witness first-hand what is like when a patient experiences a heart attack or goes into ventricular tachycardia, and to see in real time how effective the medications are really helped to put into perspective everything that we had learned. In my opinion, this exercise was one of the most effective ways of actually learning the significance of the different drugs that we are learning.

            This month I did not actually do any volunteering. On October 12ththe Hard Rock Hotel collapsed which is right down the street from where I lived. As a result, I had to spend a weekend evacuating which threw off my schedule and added stress to an upcoming exam. The entire month of October just flew by for with me managing school, the horrors of the Hard Rock Hotel collapse, and still trying to manage my mental health. Now that everything has begun to calm down, I will be able to get back to serving the community of New Orleans. It is so crazy how quickly time is moving and before I know it the first semester will be over and done. I have enjoyed connecting more with my classmates and looking forward to more Taco Tuesdays!

Total Semester Volunteer Hours: 5.0
Hard Rock Hotel at night. This picture does not do enough justice of how scary that it actually looked!

Hard Rock Hotel during the day.


Taco Tuesday :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler

A Whole New World

New Beginnings