New Beginnings

Greetings everyone! My name is Hanaiah and this marks my first blog for Tulane's Masters of Pharmacology program. I've just finished my first month of grad school and it has been interesting to say the least. Going into this program I was not sure what to expect. I had been out of school since December 2018, and I was unsure of what my next steps in life were going to be. I figured a post-bac program such as this would help to strengthen my resume best for medical school.

The Pharmacology program is more than just about studying all of the time (although I do a lot of that). A key focus is for us to spend time volunteering within the New Orleans community to help a still recovering community post Hurricane Katrina.  This past weekend I volunteered at NOLA on Tap Beer Fest which benefits the LSPCA. Being that I am a dog mom, this organizations has a special place in my heart. The morning started a little rough being that the clouds decided to rain down on us, but thankfully the rain dissipated once the festival began which made for a very Louisiana humid afternoon. I enjoyed seeing all the happy festival goers bring their cute little pooches! It definitely helped to provide some great stress relief before a pretty daunting exam week. Another plus of volunteering was that many of my classmates were also there. I enjoyed spending time connecting with many of them. 

            I am looking forward to volunteering at a more permanent location. I feel that will help me to connect more with the citizens of New Orleans and allow me to leave a lasting impact. New Orleans is such a vibrant city filled with so much culture and I cannot wait to explore the city more. Even though I am from Louisiana, to me it takes actually living in a city to truly appreciate all that it has to offer. I have successfully survived the first month of grad school and most definitely looking forward to the months to come!

September Volunteer Hours: 5.0
Meet Chino! My fur baby that I adore


Part of the crew that volunteered

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler

A Whole New World